Unreal Engine Cinematic Creator - Video Game Design Course
Learn How To Use Sequencer to Create Cinematic Cut Scenes & Gameplay Moments for Video Games in Unreal Engine 4.
Make your own cinematic moments using Unreal Engine 4's Sequencer Tool.
Sequencer (which is included with the Unreal Editor - no additional download necessary) is a powerful editor which allows you to add tracks and animate everything from your cameras to your characters to your world.
In this course you will be able to do the following:
- Create your own non-interactive cut scene which is triggered from gameplay.
- Compose interesting camera shots and animate your cameras as if you were Steven Spielberg's personal camera operator.
- Create movement and flavor in your levels by animating world events to take place as the player moves through your level (explosions and landslides anyone?).
- Create simple gameplay systems such as allowing the player to open doors when they run near them.
- Create animation sequences and render them to movie format so that you can make your own short films if you so desired.
And along the way we'll talk about cinematography theory such as the different types of shots you can create or the various ways to move your camera, including creating camera rails and camera cranes.
What you'll learn on this course:
- How to use Sequencer in Unreal Engine
- How to create a fully functioning cut scene which is triggered from gameplay
- How to create interactive and non-interactive cut scenes
- How to animate cameras to create interesting emotions for the player
- How to use Sequencer for gameplay - for example opening doors or triggering elevators
- How to use Unreal's library of free assets to make a cool looking portfolio piece
Hi, I'm Rick, nice to meet you all.
I've been making video games for a living for more than 14 years as a Game Designer, Producer, Creative Director, and Executive Producer, creating games for console, mobile, PC and Facebook. I founded an Indie game studio, called Inspirado Games, which was acquired in 2012 by Electronic Arts / PopCap. I also worked on cool IPs such as Mario, Transformers, Captain America and Mortal Kombat and created successful new IPs from scratch (such as "GardenMind" which was nominated for Canadian Game of the Year in the social / mobile category).
As a qualified Career Coach, I've helped thousands of people achieve their dream of making games for a living - both as Indie Game Developers and as valuable game industry employees.
Course Curriculum (5+ hours)
PreviewWelcome To The Course (0:46)
PreviewInstall Unreal Engine (2:58)
PreviewCommunity & Support (3:32)
PreviewChange Our Player's Hero (10:52)
PreviewBuild A Simple Reveal (12:09)
PreviewHighlight With Lights (13:42)
PreviewQuick Look At Cameras (7:26)
PreviewBlueprints & Trigger Volumes (13:17)
PreviewSection 2 - Sequencer & Cameras (0:51)
PreviewSet Our Scene (8:00)
PreviewSequencer Introduction (15:46)
PreviewAnimating Cameras (11:15)
PreviewAuto-Keying Animations (11:23)
PreviewAnimation Interpolation Options (3:11)
PreviewUsing The Fade Track (4:36)
PreviewCine Camera Settings (13:08)
PreviewUsing Camera Rig Cranes (10:32)
PreviewUsing Camera Rig Rails (5:41)
PreviewRender Sequence As A Video (10:17)
Frequently Asked Questions
"Excellent course! This was the first time I've used the sequencer and I learned a lot. Rick was easy to understand and made the entire course fun. I'm now looking forward to creating cutscenes for my video games."
"This course was awesome! The instructor did a great job of explaining the essentials and showing the potential of everything being covered. I highly recommend this course to anyone who has ever seen videos created in UE4 and has wanted to understand what goes into making them."
"Very efficient and clear. I used Unreal for the first time and I learned quite quickly all the basics thanks to this course."
Juan Pablo Rosado
"The course is perfect for me, as I'm at a beginner level when it comes to Unreal Engine 4. The instructor explains everything well, and he obviously knows what he's teaching."
Pedro Jesus Colon
"A great course that shows around the cinematic capabilities that Unreal has! A must buy if looking into working with Unreal Engine!"