"This course was really enjoyable and helpful in many ways. A lot of the things you learn here can also be applied to finding job in other industries. Even if you believe you are already good at preparing for interviews, building a portfolio and making an awesome resume, this course will still be a great exercise in challenging some of your beliefs and putting you in the right mindset to keep on pushing forward."
- Stephen Knall
Please note: This course focuses on landing your dream job in the video game industry however the strategies included apply to any creative and technical profession.
If you're interested in game development and aspire to have a career making video games, this course will help maximise your chances of finding opportunities, getting interviews and dominating the job application process in order to land your dream job in the video game industry.
No matter what role you're interested in (programmer / developer, artist, designer, producer, QA tester and so on) and what experience level you currently have (from "none" to "a lot"), this course takes you through all of the fundamentals (eg. building your resume, writing cover letters, creating a portfolio, crafting your LinkedIn profile) and dozens of insider tips and strategies that 95% of your job-hunting competitors are not (yet) using.
The course is perfect for people who are self-taught from taking courses, those who are soon-to-be and recent graduates, people who are switching careers or industry veterans looking for a change or promotion.
Why you'll get HUGE VALUE from this program...
- You'll have the skill to create "Artifacts" - the technique which allows you get get interviews even if you have very little or no job experience in the games industry.
- You'll create your Personal Brand - a critical step in passing employers "6-second test", and a brilliant way to make writing resumes, cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, emails and connection requests easier and more impactful.
- You'll become a LinkedIn Master - using this incredibly valuable tool to connect with Decision Makers, make new opportunities, gather important intel and opening doors that would otherwise be tightly shut.
- You'll learn from real-world Case Studies - job seekers like yourself who followed the teachings in this program got the interviews and job offers they wanted in the video game industry.
- You'll know exactly how you can Get More Experience on your Resume - its tough to get a job if you have no experience right? This course will show you how anyone can get experience by being smart and offering needed value to teams.
See you in the course
Ben & Rick
PS Want to get more skills before you dive-in? Check-out our comprehensive catalog of world-class game development tutorials.
"This course helped me get my first Internship at a AR studio. I got tips and tricks on how to present myself in the best way to maximise success."
- Olle Drakenberg
What will you learn in this course?
- Stand out from other candidates and get interviews for video game jobs no matter which role you are interested in.
- Create winning Resumes, Cover Letters, Portfolios and LinkedIn profiles specifically tailored to the Video Game Industry.
- Dominate in interviews by using specific, proven tactics and strategies.
- Take action to get relevant video game industry experience (even if you have no experience to start with).
- Create your personal brand in order to make it very clear to employers why you should be hired.
- Create Proof-of-Value "Artifacts" that will make you stand out more than any other candidate and get your application to the top of the pile.
- Use LinkedIn to easily Network with the right industry professionals (ie. Decision Makers who can give you a job)
- Find (and create!) job opportunities
"Great course. Rick's amazing as always!"
- Jaume Navarro
Rick has been making video games professionally for more than 14 years as a Designer, Producer, Creative Director, and Executive Producer, creating games for console, mobile, PC and Facebook. He founded an Indie game studio, Inspirado Games, which was acquired in 2012 by Electronic Arts / PopCap. He has worked on cool IPs such as Mario, Transformers, Captain America and Mortal Kombat and created successful new IPs from scratch (such as "GardenMind" which was nominated for Canadian Game of the Year in the social / mobile category).
As a qualified Career Coach, Rick has helped thousands of people achieve their dream of making games for a living - both as Indie Game Developers and as valuable game industry employees.
Course Curriculum (6+ hours)
PreviewWelcome and Introduction (1:30)
PreviewCase Study of Successful Student (10:40)
PreviewProject Checklist and Course Goal For You (10:33)
PreviewVideo Game Industry Roles Available To You (6:08)
PreviewBig List of Video Game Industry Roles
PreviewRequirements For Specific Job Roles (9:25)
Preview"Hot" Opportunities in the Video Game Industry (8:15)
PreviewWhy You Absolutely Have To Specialize (5:40)
PreviewHow To Create Your Specialization Statement (3:23)
PreviewDiscussion: Generalist Versus Specialist (10:21)
PreviewJob Hunting Mistakes You Have To Stop Doing (15:52)
PreviewEnd of Section Quiz - Your Understanding of The Fundamentals
PreviewSection 1 Wrap Up (1:10)
PreviewSection 2 Introduction (1:47)
PreviewAlways Improving (0:57)
PreviewHow Your Value is Assessed by Employers (9:48)
PreviewHow To Get More "Skill-Based" Value (13:16)
PreviewDiscussion: Learning New Skills (8:02)
PreviewFinding All Your Experience Points (4:21)
PreviewOffering Value To Get More Experience (7:28)
PreviewTechniques For Getting More Experience (11:45)
PreviewCase Study: Getting Experience on Upwork (5:29)
PreviewEnd of Section Quiz - Having Value
PreviewSection 2 Wrap Up (2:45)