Get Git Smart Course: Learn Git in Unity, SourceTree, GitHub
Learn How To Use Version Control w/GIT, SourceTree & GitHub from Scratch in Unity Video Game Design (3.8 hours)
Want to learn Git without falling asleep? You're in the right place!
Learning version control can be tricky and boring, we're here to make it easy and fun. Using game development as the example project, we'll be showing step-by-step how to get into git (get it?).
By the end of the course you'll have an indispensable tool, that will allow you to...
- Protect your valuable work using git version control.
- Explore creative options using Atlassian's SourceTree & the terminal / command line.
- Backup efficiently to the Internet, specifically GitHub but GitLab and BitBucket are mentioned.
- Learn all the common version control workflows that you'll need day-to-day.
- Lay the foundations for collaboration with others.
You won't only be learning the science of version control, but the art too. For example you'll learn common usage patterns that keep your live simple, and even how to setup your online portfolio to show your work in the best light.
Your instructor Ben Tristem is the founder of GameDev tv, and has taught 100,000s of students to code and use creative software from scratch, so you're in good hands. No prior experience of version control, git, or coding required.
We'll be covering Windows, however MacOS and Linux users can also follow along with a little modification.
Let's dive in and get this mini super-power learnt in no time!
What you'll learn on this course:
- Learn the key concepts of the Git source control system
- Install git on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Install the slick visual tool SourceTree on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Be aware of other visual tools including GitKracken and GitHub Desktop
- Use .gitignore files intelligently to track only what matters
- Create "feature branches" to allow you to explore new ideas safely
- "Push" your work to GitHub or BitBucket for backup & sharing
- Understand how to use the command line when necessary
- Understand more about how the tool you use really works by watching file changes
- Be prepared to collaborate on your project with others professionally
Ben has a degree in computing from Imperial College London, and a physics diploma from the Open University.
He started working for himself at the age of 15, and never looked back. He's explored careers as varied as being a commercial pilot, stunt-man, rock climbing instructor, and more. None of these provided a continued challenge, and stable income in the same way technology did.
After building and selling a home computer support business, he became an angel investor and business mentor in Cambridge UK. He fell in love with teaching game development through one of his investments, and now spends all of his time sharing this passion with people like you.
He can't wait to help you experience the fulfilment, and financial freedom, that having a deep understanding of technology brings.
So why not start learning to make games with him and the GameDev.tv now?
Course Curriculum (3+ hours)
PreviewWhy You Should Take This Course (1:55)
PreviewCommunity & Support (3:50)
PreviewWhat Git Can Do (5:56)
PreviewThe Ecosystem (4:42)
PreviewQuiz 1: Mid Section
PreviewSetup GitHub (5:30)
PreviewSetup SourceTree (PC) (6:31)
PreviewSetup SourceTree (Mac) (7:17)
PreviewAbout Unity & Wrap-up (3:26)
PreviewQuiz 2: End Section
Frequently Asked Questions
"Extremely useful information and well explained. Version control can be something very confusing when you first look at it but Ben keeps it simple and breaks down each stage. Before you know it you will be pushing your projects to an online repository. The uses for this information go far beyond simply keeping a back up and Ben goes through the common use cases."
"Excellent course full of Unity specific inside info. Common use and real world examples really solidify the info presented. File conflicts and other real issues are also reviewed."
"From knowing nothing about git and github to actually being confident enough to set it up for all my unity projects, this course is a godsend! Thanks for doing all you do, guys!"
"Another great course from Ben & GameDev.tv. I feel more confident with SourceTree & Git after this course. I'll use what I've learned to write the SourceTree guidelines for my team."
"Super quick and easy way to get a crash course into Git. Started a new job and needed to learn it in a day to pick up where they left off, and this allowed me to do that. Can't wait to take the next GameDev.TV course!"