"This course shows you everything you need to know about git so you will be able to use VC with your projects. A must have course if you are new to VC or know little about VC"
- Lloyd Risper
Want to learn Git without falling asleep? You're in the right place!
Learning version control can be tricky and boring, we're here to make it easy and fun. Using game development as the example project, we'll be showing step-by-step how to get into git (get it?).
By the end of the course you'll have an indispensable tool, that will allow you to...
- Protect your valuable work using git version control.
- Explore creative options using Atlassian's SourceTree & the terminal / command line.
- Backup efficiently to the Internet, specifically GitHub but GitLab and BitBucket are mentioned.
- Learn all the common version control workflows that you'll need day-to-day.
- Lay the foundations for collaboration with others.
You won't only be learning the science of version control, but the art too. For example you'll learn common usage patterns that keep your live simple, and even how to setup your online portfolio to show your work in the best light.
Your instructor Ben Tristem is the founder of GameDev tv, and has taught 100,000s of students to code and use creative software from scratch, so you're in good hands. No prior experience of version control, git, or coding required.
We'll be covering Windows, however MacOS and Linux users can also follow along with a little modification.
Let's dive in and get this mini super-power learnt in no time!
"Ive taken a couple of other courses to learn about Git, but IMO they have all been very clinical and hard to digest.
And as expected the team at GameDev.tv have surpassed expectations with subject matter.
not only informative, the reinforcement of challenges throughout helps to understand how it all works by actually doing it.
Learned alot from this and will definitely be using it alot more going forward.. spot on :)"
- Darren McBain
What Do I Need To Get Started?
- Admin rights on your computer.
- Basic computer skills including installing software.
- Some coding experience enhances the experience, but isn't necessary.
Who Is This Course For?
- Anyone specifically interested in learning Git.
- Anyone interested in using "source control", or "version control".
- Unity and other game developers who want to version their work.
- Freelancers and creatives who want to learn a super-solid new tool.
What Else Will I Learn?
- Learn the key concepts of the Git source control system.
- Install git on Windows, MacOS and Linux.
- Install the slick visual tool SourceTree on Windows, MacOS and Linux.
- Be aware of other visual tools including GitKracken and GitHub Desktop.
- Use .gitignore files intelligently to track only what matters.
- Create "feature branches" to allow you to explore new ideas safely.
- "Push" your work to GitHub or BitBucket for backup & sharing.
- Understand how to use the command line when necessary.
- Understand more about how the tool you use really works by watching file changes.
- Be prepared to collaborate on your project with others professionally.
"Just what I needed! This provided an easy way to learn Git/GitHub with the added bonus of practicing what I learned with a Unity project. I like Unity's built in Collaborate feature, but now I don't feel bound to it and I'll be able to work with teams that prefer Git/GitHub."
- Cole Andress
Ben has a degree in computing from Imperial College London, and a physics diploma from the Open University.
He started working for himself at the age of 15, and never looked back. He's explored careers as varied as being a commercial pilot, stunt-man, rock climbing instructor, and more. None of these provided a continued challenge, and stable income in the same way technology did.
After building and selling a home computer support business, he became an angel investor and business mentor in Cambridge UK. He fell in love with teaching game development through one of his investments, and now spends all of his time sharing this passion with people like you.
He can't wait to help you experience the fulfilment, and financial freedom, that having a deep understanding of technology brings.
So why not start learning to make games with him and the GameDev.tv now?
PreviewWhy You Should Take This Course (1:55)
PreviewCommunity & Support (3:50)
PreviewWhat Git Can Do (5:56)
PreviewThe Ecosystem (4:42)
PreviewQuiz 1: Mid Section
PreviewSetup GitHub (5:30)
PreviewSetup SourceTree (PC) (6:31)
PreviewSetup SourceTree (Mac) (7:17)
PreviewAbout Unity & Wrap-up (3:26)
PreviewQuiz 2: End Section