Complete Drawing Course: Create Video Game Concept Art
Learn To Be An Artist From Scratch. Follow Along Digitally or With Pen and Paper.
FROM ZERO TO PRO ARTIST
Even if you think you can't draw, don't have the time or talent - with our help you CAN DRAW.
This course focusses on practicing the fundamental concepts in a fun creative way. We'll draw characters, environments, objects, weapons, spaceships, game scenes and lots more.
After just 10 hours of following the course you'll be able to create a spaceship like this:
You'll be encouraged to draw without trying to be perfect. Learning to draw concept art is more about conveying your idea than it is about winning art awards! We cover Characters, Environments, game props and other things relevant to creating video game concept art.
You can follow along with this course even if you don't have a fancy graphics tablet. Every lecture is suitable for people with paper-and-pencil, as well as those folks who have a digital drawing set up.
DRAW THINGS THAT INTEREST YOU
Each step of the way you'll be asked to use your creativity to draw things which are interesting to you, not just trying to replicate exactly what the instructor is drawing.
All with our secret sauce of regular challenges, and exquisitely paced learning.
At GameDev.tv we’ve helped nearly 1m people get started in game development. With us you’ll be supported by a vibrant community of 1000s of other students, as well as a dedicated teaching assistant to help you.
JOIN THOUSANDS OF FELLOW STUDENTS
- Our community forum: receives 100s of new posts every day
- Our Discord server: with 1000s of people 24/7
- Our Unity, Blender, Unreal and 2D Game Art Facebook groups
- Occasionally on Twitch, YouTube and other channels.
You will get full lifetime access for a single one-off fee.
- Build skill levels methodically while still producing exciting game art.
- Simple step by step approach.
- Learn about: Stroke, Shape, Depth, Form, Proportion, Texture and other advanced techniques.
- Hours of content, along with practice materials, gives you the opportunity to become skilled without the monotony of practice.
Dive in now
What you'll learn in this course:
- We’ll start with learning the basic fundamentals of Stroke, Shape, Size and Shade. Lot's of practice creating quirky video game objects such as weapons, cars, castles and more.
- Then, while still learning the fundamentals, we'll have some fun creating characters, learning dimensions, posing and more.
- Then on 3D SHAPES to build-up an isometric drawing, your first foray into the third dimension.
- We’ll teach you one and two point perspective, along with saturation techniques to give a sense of DEPTH.
- Building on what we’ve learnt, we practice flowing shapes into one-another to create natural looking FORM.
- Along the way you’ll learn ADVANCED techniques including pose, shading, lighting, stroke thickness and more.
Grant first started learning Blender back in the late 90’s. He ran a small film company and found the software ideal for some motion graphics work he needed.
He went into teaching as a backup option for when the film work was not so regular. The teaching gradually took over, and he's now been teaching for around 15 years. He moved into teaching game design 6 years ago, which rekindled his excitement for 3D animation. He then began to pick up freelance work and created his YouTube channel Gabbitt Media.
Since then his channel has grown to over 370,000 subscribers, and he's worked on many interesting projects from engineering to 3D printing and creating game models for Atlas Empires.
Now he's here with the GameDev.tv team making courses, and sharing his passion with the community.
Course Curriculum (13+ hours)
StartWelcome To The Course (4:26)
StartBasic Techniques - Traditional (12:54)
StartDraw Your Sword (9:17)
StartCommunity & Support (1:40)
StartMax with an Axe (12:23)
StartShape Up - Cars (8:49)
StartMonster Madness (13:31)
StartCreating Thumbnails (13:29)
StartCreating Basic Layouts (10:22)
StartAdding Some Details (13:09)
StartDetails & Shading (17:00)
StartFinishing The Fantasy Castle (8:10)
StartMaking the Background (7:23)
StartDrawing Fundamentals Roundup (3:09)
StartShapely Characters (11:08)
StartExpress Yourself (7:29)
StartA Face full of Character (13:22)
StartCreating Hair (15:29)
StartBlock stickmen (10:19)
StartStrike a pose (11:50)
StartAdaptive Workflow (13:18)
StartTidying Images & Adding Detail (7:49)
StartShading & Finishing (11:10)
StartSimple Characters Round-up (1:28)
Frequently Asked Questions
"This course is exactly what I have been looking for. The instructor is very knowledgeable and very clear with what he is teaching.
By learning drawing concepts and techniques by actually working on concept art pieces as each lessons topic and practice challenge makes it a lot more fun to learn.
I highly recommend this course if you are interested in concept art or just improving your drawing skills."
"Really enjoyed this course. I found the perspectives lessons so much easier to understand and how to use guides to help with my drawing.
Learned so much. Excellent course."
"Grant is a great teacher. I follow his tutorials on youtube and on udemy. He is both talented and well knowledged with the subject he is teaching. He generally tells you the lesson step by step, sometimes he is doing mistakes on purpose so that you can easily understand what comes next. Thanks for him for his great effort for the community."
"I'm really enjoying this course. And I have surprised myself by what I have drawn. I am starting to believe more that everyone can draw, if they try, practice and have some very good instruction."
"This is perfect for learning to draw concept game art quickly. I like to sketch but I draw slowly because I'm trying to be perfect. This course is helping me to break that habit and get results. Thanks."